Wednesday, September 2, 2009

The end of summer

Summer is coming to an end. Today, we attended the open houses for both Kendall and Mackenzie's classes. It is such an exciting time and the atmosphere at the schools are fun. Mackenzie is so excited to see her friends again. Kendall is so excited to start Kindergarten. She was so proud walking with her backpack filled with school supplies. I hope that I will be able to participate as a volunteer in each of their classes as much as I can this school year. It may not happen anytime soon, but I am hoping it can happen later on in the year.

Well, tomorrow is the day we are supposed to head to the State Fair. I am not sure if it is going to happen or not. I am having some anxiety about going. It is hard to leave the comfort of my home. I am worried that if I start to feel sick or really tired that it will be difficult for me to handle. I am not placing to much pressure on myself to eat a corn dog. I just really want to go and experience the Fair. I am giving myself some extra IV fluids tonight to help with my energy level tomorrow. I am going to have to wait and see how I feel in the morning. Based on how I feel today...I am not sure if it is going to happen. I have been feeling really tired today.

Things are getting better bit by bit. But I still have days when I struggle to get out of bed. I am starting to eat a little more. The other day I was able to drink a can of pop for the first time in a long time. I was so excited and started to cry. It was an amazing accomplishment for me. These are the little things that one can take for granted as I have my whole life. I will never again take for granted being able to eat and drink whatever I want. I can't wait to get there again.

I still have about 5 more weeks to heal completely. Although, that can change...it all depends on the individual. They weren't kidding when they said the recovery period is long. The doctors have scheduled my final scans for October 29. However, I think I need to reschedule the scans because this is the same day as the Hannah Montana concert. We bought tickets to take the girls to do something special as a family. When I have a PET scan, I am radioactive for a short period so I would not be able to go to the concert. So I am going to try to reschedule to scans. Otherwise, Jason will have to face the thousands of screaming girls alone.

As of today, these are my prayer requests: 1) Quick healing through this recovery process. This includes healing of sores in my mouth and the mucus/drainage to go away. 2) Getting my appetite back and being able to eat anything by mouth again. 3) To have some normalcy before my scans. 4) To be CANCER FREE!!!

Thanks to all of you that have been so dedicated to praying for me. I thank God for you every day.

Love,
Sue


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sue, I hope you are able to go to the State Fair. You have been looking forward to it for such a long time. I will pray that you have the strength.
Love,
Maryann Raese

Anonymous said...

Hi Sue,

It's so great to get another update that things are continuing to improve. My thoughts and prayers continue to be with you.

I read Psalm 126 earlier this week and wanted to share verses 1-3 with you:

"When the Lord brought back the captive ones of Zion,
We were like those who dream.
Then our mouth was filled with laughter,
And our tongue with joyful shouting.
Then they said among the nations,
'The Lord has done great things for them.'
The Lord has done great things for us..."

I just kept thinking back to the song "You Have Done Great Things" (I think it's by Matt Redman) and see that in your healing process.

Back to school is such a fun time, and I pray that both girls love their classes and their teachers. What a blessing to have kids excited to go to school:).

I bet they cannot wait for the Hannah Montana concert, and I bet Kendall will be singing all the songs and dancing if she can:)! I will be back soon after that, so I can't wait to hear about it!

Just wanted to let you know I'm thinking of you! Tell the girls hi for me!

Love and prayers,
Dani

Anonymous said...

Hi Sue,

It sounds like you are making progress and that is so encouraging to read! I am praying RIGHT NOW that you will be able to go to the fair tomorrow AND eat at least a bite or two of a corn dog! :-) Don't put too much pressure on yourself...if you only get a bite...that's progress, too!

Hang in there...I know the road is long and tough, and that it feels like an uphill battle in the recovery season sometimes, but you will get through this. You have such an amazing testimony, and you have strengthened and encouraged my faith through this entire journey you have been on. Thank you!

I look forward to your updates...can't wait to hear about how the fair was if you decide to go.

Love,
Jennie K.

Anonymous said...

Sue, I thought you looked beautiful today standing amidst the crowd, helping Mckenzie back to school. It is your heart of wanting to be a part of your children's life that makes you beautiful; it is your transparency about your battle with cancer that makes your beautiful; it is your spirit of dependence on God that makes you beautiful.

We think about you often and will keep praying for you.

Phyllis