Saturday, April 25, 2009

There is no place like home

When I was diagnosed with cancer, a robin that has built its nest underneath our deck, year after year, had reappeared.   She was quite plump and ready to lay her eggs again and she chose the same spot under our deck to do so.  This robin has become a symbol of hope for me that I will be OK and, like that robin, I will be there for my kids year after year.  The best part of waking up this morning in my own bed was looking out my window and seeing the robin again.  A renewed sense of hope that I desperately needed after being in the hospital.  It was wonderful to come home to my family and the comfort of my own home.  But it is a little nerve wrecking at the same time.  I can feel my body getting weaker and weaker which means my white blood count is starting to drop.  I am susceptible to germs and I just hope and pray that I will not get sick.  There is one advantage to having a husband that sells medical supplies - Jason has hand cleanser and hospital soap displayed all over the house for everyone to stay germ free.

Two more days of being on Chemotherapy.  I have a new companion that goes with me everywhere I go - a black bag containing a pump that is injecting me with the chemo until Sunday night.   Once the chemo has been completed, I will have about a 2 1/2 week break before the second round begins.  I have already thought about how tough it is going to be to start all over again.  But, I just need to take it one day at a time.  Next week, I will be going to the Oncology clinic to set a shot of white blood cells to begin boosting my system again.   

I had so many wonderful surprises coming home yesterday.  After sending Jason on a Dairy Queen run, I sorted through a bundle of cards and gifts from so many wonderful friends and family members and people I don't even know.  I am positively overwhelmed with how quickly my story has spread and the number of people that are praying.  It was also nice to come home and see how well my kids have been cared for and how well my family has been fed.  Thanks to all of you that have been sending food and arranging playdates for the girls.  

Today, my agenda will include attempting to take a shower, spending some time with the girls and sleep.  And not to mention staying on top of my nausea.  My bedside table is filled with prescription bottles for heartburn and nausea.   The nausea that I am experiencing is mostly from the type of chemo they gave me the first couple of days.  They were among the most aggressive forms of chemo available and it will take awhile for the side effects to go away.  So I am hoping I have turned the corner and that the nausea will go away soon.  

I am anticipating the day my hair will fall out.  But I am well prepared with cute hats and scarves to cover the bald head.  A dear friend, who works at one of my favorite stores, did some personal shopping for me and purchased a bunch of cute hats and scarves.  It was like Christmastime all over again.  

Thank you from the bottom of heart to all of you!  I feel surrounded by so much love and support.  A true gift from God!


Anonymous said...


So good to hear you are home and you sound like you are comfortable, given everything going on. Your journey is reminding me a bit of what my dad went through. I know they also started giving him vitamin shots--B12, maybe? I can't remember exactly, and that seemed to boost his energy levels quite a bit. I've got my women's Bible study and my Sunday school class praying for you!

Love, Jennie K.

Bjjohan39 said...

Sue, I posted a comment for you on, I thought, your birthday, but I think it really was on the 22nd. Just checking to see if you had gotten a chance to read it, because I mentioned someone who has had the very same cancer as yours and who is ten years recovered, and lives there in Mpls., in case you would be interested in talking to him.

With our love and prayers,

Bev Johansen

Anonymous said...

So glad to hear that you are home and receiving the encouragement that is needed to get you through this Sue. We continue to pray for God's healing touch on your body.

Julie Dahl

Anonymous said...

Welcome home, Sue! Wish we could be there to hug you! Please accept a ton of virtual, germ-free squeezes from us!


Rich, Cheri & the kids

Heather said...

Welcome Home Sue - we are so glad to have you home again. Stay healthy and call if you need anything. You are in our prayers.

Anonymous said...

Welcome home SUE!!!!
I am really glad you are staying serene and focused on taking things one day at a time!

You know I believe by doing that you are truly seizing each moment in a way you probably didn't before. Your outlook and perception of life has now changed and is truly in tune with enjoying alot of the things that we otherwise take for granted. Being able to see life in this way is a true GIFT FROM GOD!!!!!! and the living proof he is watching over YOU.

You, Jason, and the girls are in our ongoing prayers!
Your always friend,

Dieter (Along with the entire Moya family)

Anonymous said...

Hi Sue, Just checking in. Glad that you are home, I'm sure Jason and the girls are thrilled. Stay healthy! Many blessings.

Kathy Cowan

Susan said...

Oh, I'm glad to hear your home and love the robin story. Take care, Susan